Jerusalem Post — Iran News
rightREPORTIran says Oman deal is in 'final stages,' but US must act first to open Strait of Hormuz
Full BriefGenerated 14d ago
What Happened
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi stated on Sunday that a bilateral agreement with Oman regarding new shipping lanes in the Strait of Hormuz is in its final stages. However, Araghchi maintained that the waterway will remain closed until the United States meets specific conditions, including the payment of compensation for US strikes and the lifting of sanctions. This follows a US official's claim on Friday that an agreement to reopen the strait was nearing completion. Simultaneously, the Houthi movement claimed responsibility for a drone strike on a Saudi Aramco refinery in Jazan on Sunday, which the Saudi energy ministry confirmed caused a fire but resulted in no injuries.
Key Actors
- ·Abbas Araghchi(Iranian Foreign Minister)He stated that the agreement with Oman is in its final stages but conditioned the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz on the United States meeting Iranian demands.
- ·Yahya Saree(Houthi military spokesperson)He confirmed that the group utilized a drone to target the Saudi Aramco Jazan refinery.
- ·Mohammad Baqer Zolqadr(Secretary of Iran's top national security body)He outlined a list of prerequisites for de-escalation, including the cessation of US threats and the lifting of sanctions and blockades.
- ·Saudi Energy Ministry(Saudi Arabian government agency)It confirmed a fire occurred at the Jazan refinery following the reported Houthi attack.
Why It Matters
The Strait of Hormuz is a critical global energy chokepoint, previously handling one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments. The ongoing blockade and the associated demands for US compensation and sanctions relief represent a significant escalation in the standoff between Tehran and Washington, further complicated by the Houthi movement's continued strikes on Saudi energy infrastructure.
Watch For
Monitor for further developments regarding the Oman-mediated backchannel and whether the United States or Iran provide specific timelines for the potential reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. Additionally, observe the operational response from Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan following the signing of their recent defense pact in light of the Jazan refinery attack.
Generated 14d ago · Based on full articleAuto-Compiled
This page aggregates and summarizes reporting from Jerusalem Post — Iran News. The Conflict Pulse does not author original reporting. Read the original source for full coverage.
CONFLICT OVERVIEW
Iran
Latest verified updates on Iran’s regional confrontation, U.S.–Israeli strikes, missile retaliation, proxy networks, sanctions, and Strait of Hormuz risks.
SOURCE PERSPECTIVES
How outlets across the bias spectrum are covering this conflict.
LATEST FROM IRAN

REPORTMiddle East Eye9d ago
Iran formalises Strait of Hormuz control as US struggles to sustain war it launched with Israel

REPORTAl Jazeera9d ago
US threatens ‘indefinite’ blockade against Iran: How long can it last?

REPORTMiddle East Eye9d ago
Morning update

REPORTMiddle East Eye9d ago
Vance says US will end up 'in a stronger position' than Iran
REPORTJerusalem Post — Iran News9d ago
US Treasury Secretary Bessent says US to apply measures 'never seen before' on Iran

REPORTAl Jazeera9d ago