Middle East Eye
centerREPORTIran says no progress on reviving interim peace deal with US

Iran and the United States remain at loggerheads over efforts to agree on a permanent end to the war in the Gulf, according to a senior Iranian source, who said there had been no progress in talks to revive the interim deal agreed in June and define a timeframe to implement it. The comments came as US President Donald Trump issued yet another broadside against Iran's leaders, following new attacks on shipping in the region on Tuesday.
Full BriefGenerated 11d ago
What Happened
A senior Iranian source stated that negotiations to revive the June interim agreement, which aimed for a permanent cessation of military operations in the Gulf, have stalled with no progress. The source indicated that discussions facilitated by mediators regarding the United States' return to the agreement and the establishment of an implementation timeframe remain deadlocked. This follows the collapse of the June deal, which was declared 'over' by United States President Donald Trump on 7 July and 'suspended' by the Iranian Foreign Ministry on 14 July. Tensions in the region were further underscored by United States President Donald Trump's public criticism of Iranian leadership following reported attacks on shipping vessels on Tuesday.
Key Actors
- ·United States(State actor)President Donald Trump has publicly criticized Iranian leadership and declared the June interim agreement to be over.
- ·Iran(State actor)The Foreign Ministry suspended the interim agreement on 14 July and reports that current mediation efforts to revive the deal have yielded no progress.
Why It Matters
The failure to revive the interim agreement leaves the Gulf region without a formal framework to de-escalate military operations, increasing the risk of direct confrontation between United States and Iranian forces. The ongoing impasse, coupled with persistent shipping disruptions, suggests that diplomatic backchannels are currently unable to contain the cycle of regional maritime and military volatility.
Watch For
Monitor for further reports of shipping incidents in the Gulf and any subsequent statements from mediators regarding the viability of the June interim agreement. Additionally, observe whether the United States or Iran announce new policy shifts in response to the current diplomatic stalemate.
Generated 11d ago · Based on full articleAuto-Compiled
This page aggregates and summarizes reporting from Middle East Eye. The Conflict Pulse does not author original reporting. Read the original source for full coverage.
CONFLICT OVERVIEW
Iran
Latest verified updates on Iran’s regional confrontation, U.S.–Israeli strikes, missile retaliation, proxy networks, sanctions, and Strait of Hormuz risks.
SOURCE PERSPECTIVES
How outlets across the bias spectrum are covering this conflict.
LATEST FROM IRAN

REPORTMiddle East Eye9d ago
Iran formalises Strait of Hormuz control as US struggles to sustain war it launched with Israel

REPORTAl Jazeera9d ago
US threatens ‘indefinite’ blockade against Iran: How long can it last?

REPORTMiddle East Eye9d ago
Morning update

REPORTMiddle East Eye9d ago
Vance says US will end up 'in a stronger position' than Iran
REPORTJerusalem Post — Iran News9d ago
US Treasury Secretary Bessent says US to apply measures 'never seen before' on Iran

REPORTAl Jazeera9d ago