Al Jazeera
centerREPORTUS slams Chinese ‘nature reserve’ as effort to claim South China Sea

Full BriefGenerated 11d ago
What Happened
On Saturday, the US State Department issued a formal statement rejecting China's designation of the area around Scarborough Reef in the South China Sea as a 'national nature reserve,' calling it 'yet another unilateral attempt by China to use dubious environmental and legal pretexts, backed by coercion, to advance its sweeping territorial and maritime claims.' The statement accused China of denying Filipino fishermen access to their traditional fishing grounds and emphasized that the US 'stands with our Ally, the Philippines, in support of a free and open Indo-Pacific.' The rebuke follows recent incidents in which Chinese vessels fired water cannon at Filipino fishing boats near the Scarborough Shoal, escalating tensions in a decades-old sovereignty dispute over the waters, which both China and the Philippines claim. The Philippines previously won an arbitration ruling at the Permanent Court of Arbitration that dismissed China's claims as unlawful under international maritime law, but China has refused to recognize the ruling and continues to assert a 'nine-dash line' boundary across much of the sea.
Key Actors
- ·US State Department(executive branch agency responsible for US foreign policy)rejected China's nature-reserve designation, accused China of coercive territorial claims, and reaffirmed support for the Philippines and a free and open Indo-Pacific.
- ·China(claimant state in the South China Sea disputes)defines the Scarborough Reef area as a 'national nature reserve' to restrict Filipino fishing and advance its nine-dash line claims, refuses to accept the Permanent Court of Arbitration’s ruling.
- ·Philippines(sovereign state contesting China's claims)asserts that Scarborough Shoal is its traditional fishing ground; won an international arbitration ruling against China's claims; receives US backing under the bilateral alliance.
Why It Matters
The US statement highlights the centrality of the South China Sea as a theater of strategic competition. China’s use of environmental pretexts and coercive tactics to enforce its claims threatens freedom of navigation in waters through which over $3 trillion in goods pass annually, and tests the credibility of US security commitments to allies. American diplomatic and military engagement aims to deter unilateral changes to the status quo and reinforce international maritime law.
Watch For
Possible US freedom-of-navigation operations or additional joint military exercises with the Philippines, Canada, and Australia in the area. Monitor ASEAN forums for further diplomatic maneuvers, potential Chinese counter-statements or tighter restrictions at Scarborough Reef, and whether the Philippines seeks renewed arbitration or files complaints at the United Nations.
Generated 11d ago · Based on full articleAuto-Compiled
This page aggregates and summarizes reporting from Al Jazeera. The Conflict Pulse does not author original reporting. Read the original source for full coverage.
CONFLICT OVERVIEW
United States
Latest verified updates on U.S. military operations, foreign policy decisions, alliance pressure, sanctions, maritime security, and global power projection.
Active since May 2020
SOURCE PERSPECTIVES
How outlets across the bias spectrum are covering this conflict.
LATEST FROM UNITED STATES

REPORTBBC US & Canada6d ago
Who could replace White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt?
REPORTDW News7d ago
US: Karoline Leavitt to step down as Trump's spokesperson

REPORTBBC US & Canada7d ago
Trump says White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt to leave post

REPORTBBC US & Canada7d ago
Watch: Key moments from Karoline Leavitt's White House tenure

REPORTAl Jazeera7d ago
Karoline Leavitt to step down as White House press secretary, Trump says

REPORTAl Jazeera7d ago