BBC Middle East
centerREPORTLebanon says Israeli strikes kill 47 as Israel says four soldiers killed by Hezbollah

Full BriefGenerated 52d ago
What Happened
Israeli airstrikes across Lebanon killed at least 47 people and wounded 97, according to Lebanon's health ministry, amid a surge in violence just before a US-brokered ceasefire took effect on Friday afternoon. The IDF said it struck 80 Hezbollah targets and killed 'dozens' of its members, while Hezbollah ambushed an Israeli group in southern Lebanon, destroying three tanks with guided missiles and killing four Israeli soldiers. Lebanese state media described overnight bombardment in the Nabatieh district—including the towns of Harouf, Haboush, and al-Duweir—as among the most intense of the war. Despite the announcement of a US-Iran deal on Thursday aiming to end all hostilities, both sides continued attacks; a US official later confirmed an immediate ceasefire in Lebanon had been agreed, but Israeli forces had not withdrawn. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered the IDF to strike Hezbollah 'with full force' following the soldier deaths, while far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir declared 'all of Lebanon must burn' and dismissed US diplomatic pressure.
Key Actors
- ·Israel Defense Forces (IDF)(Military of Israel)Conducted airstrikes on 80 Hezbollah targets in Lebanon, killing 47 and wounding 97; lost four soldiers in a Hezbollah ambush.
- ·Hezbollah(Iran-backed Lebanese armed group)Ambushed an Israeli unit in southern Lebanon, destroying three tanks and killing four soldiers; vowed to continue attacks as long as Israeli forces remain in Lebanon.
- ·Benjamin Netanyahu(Prime Minister of Israel)Ordered full-force strikes on Hezbollah after soldier deaths, warning Israel will exact a 'very heavy price,' while publicly stressing close US ties.
- ·Itamar Ben-Gvir(Israeli National Security Minister (far-right))Called for all of Lebanon to 'burn' and rejected US diplomatic pressure, insisting Israeli blood cannot be bargained with.
Why It Matters
The flare-up, occurring hours after a US-Iran deal aimed at a comprehensive ceasefire, exposes the deal's fragility and the risk of Israeli-Hezbollah violence derailing broader diplomacy. Netanyahu faces domestic pressure from far-right ministers to escalate, potentially putting him at odds with Washington and straining the US-Israel alliance. The high Lebanese civilian toll and mass displacement underscore the humanitarian stakes, while the deal's provision on Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon remains contested.
Watch For
Whether the Friday afternoon ceasefire holds, as both sides continued attacks after its announcement. Implementation of the US-Iran deal, particularly the timeline for Israeli withdrawal from southern Lebanon and the delayed direct talks. Statements from US VP Vance, who cancelled his trip to Switzerland and sharply criticized Israeli critics of the deal. Any further escalatory rhetoric from Ben-Gvir or Finance Minister Smotrich, and how the US administration responds to Israeli actions that may violate the ceasefire.
Generated 52d ago · Based on full articleAuto-Compiled
This page aggregates and summarizes reporting from BBC Middle East. The Conflict Pulse does not author original reporting. Read the original source for full coverage.
CONFLICT OVERVIEW
Israel–Palestine
Latest verified updates on Gaza, the West Bank, Israeli military operations, Palestinian politics, humanitarian conditions, and international diplomacy.
Active since May 1948
SOURCE PERSPECTIVES
How outlets across the bias spectrum are covering this conflict.
LATEST FROM ISRAEL–PALESTINE

DEVELOPINGAl Jazeera6h ago
‘We have no one’: Palestinians react to Israel’s rejection of Gaza plan

DEVELOPINGBBC US & Canada7h ago
Netanyahu's rejection of Trump's 15-point Gaza plan unlikely to be final word

DEVELOPINGMiddle East Eye8h ago
Why the Mecca Agreement is a necessary show of force

DEVELOPINGAl Jazeera8h ago
Why Netanyahu’s ‘coup’ against Gaza plan risks endless war

DEVELOPINGAl Jazeera11h ago
Remembering Anas, Mohammed and Gaza’s other slain journalists

DEVELOPINGMiddle East Eye11h ago