Middle East Eye
centerREPORTLebanon, Israel agree shortlist of countries that could send troops to verify Hezbollah disarmament
Lebanon and Israel have agreed on a shortlist of countries that could send troops to verify the disarmament of Hezbollah under a US-brokered agreement, a Lebanese official said on Friday, with the United States due to pick countries from the list. The official declined to identify any of the countries on the shortlist or say how many there were.
Full BriefGenerated 12d ago
What Happened
Lebanon and Israel have agreed on a shortlist of countries that could send troops to verify the disarmament of Hezbollah, a Lebanese official said on Friday. The list was produced during meetings at the US embassy in Rome this week, as part of ongoing talks to implement the 26 June deal linking Israel's progressive troop withdrawal from Lebanon to Hezbollah disarmament, verified by a third party. The United States will now decide which country or countries from the list will be tasked with verification. Another Lebanese official and two foreign diplomats had previously told Reuters that Israel and the US vetoed France. Hezbollah is not a party to the agreement and has refused to give up its arsenal.
Key Actors
- ·Lebanon(State party to the 26 June agreement, represented by officials at Rome talks)Agreed on a shortlist of countries for a potential verification force, but faces Hezbollah's refusal to disarm.
- ·Israel(State party to the 26 June agreement)Participated in Rome talks to agree on the shortlist; previously vetoed France alongside the US, according to officials.
- ·United States(Broker of the 26 June agreement and mediator)Will choose from the agreed shortlist the country or countries to verify Hezbollah disarmament; previously vetoed France alongside Israel.
- ·Hezbollah(Lebanese Shi'a political-military movement, not a party to the agreement)Refuses to give up its arsenal, despite the disarmament verification mechanism being negotiated.
Why It Matters
The verification force is central to the ceasefire and withdrawal framework. Progress on the shortlist despite Hezbollah's rejection highlights the challenges of implementation. The choice of countries will impact the credibility of the disarmament process and the stability of the border region.
Watch For
The US announcement of the chosen country or countries; any Hezbollah response or obstruction; potential deployment timeline; further talks on implementation steps; reactions from the Lebanese government and other factions.
Generated 12d ago · Based on full articleAuto-Compiled
This page aggregates and summarizes reporting from Middle East Eye. The Conflict Pulse does not author original reporting. Read the original source for full coverage.
CONFLICT OVERVIEW
Lebanon
Latest verified updates on Lebanon, Hezbollah, Israel–Lebanon escalation, southern border fighting, displacement, state authority, and ceasefire diplomacy.
Active since October 2023
SOURCE PERSPECTIVES
How outlets across the bias spectrum are covering this conflict.
Limited perspective coverage. Only center-leaning sources currently tracked for this region.
LATEST FROM LEBANON

REPORTMiddle East Eye5d ago
Hezbollah accuses Lebanon’s government of targeting ‘resistance’ instead of Israel: Report

REPORTMiddle East Eye6d ago
‘They’re all catastrophic’: The paediatric war wounds Dr Abu Sittah tries to heal in Lebanon

REPORTMiddle East Eye6d ago
Israeli forces will not withdraw from south Lebanon or Gaza, Katz says

REPORTMiddle East Eye6d ago
Human Rights Watch says UN must keep peacekeepers in Lebanon

REPORTAl Jazeera6d ago
Lebanese Americans sue US over Israel’s rights abuses in Lebanon war

REPORTMiddle East Eye7d ago