LIVE
Conflict Pulse
· · VERIFIED SOURCES
All RegionsUkraine–RussiaIsrael–PalestineUnited StatesSudan / DarfurMyanmarEthiopia / TigrayLebanonVenezuelaIran
BBC Middle East
centerREPORT

Israel strikes south Lebanon after two soldiers killed by explosion

Israel strikes south Lebanon after two soldiers killed by explosion
NEWS SUMMARY
Israel conducted strikes in southern Lebanon on Wednesday, including Tibnin and Mansouri, after claiming Hezbollah violated a ceasefire and an Israeli military source alleged Lebanese army presence in a "security zone." A man was killed and 12 injured in Tibnin, and an evacuation order was issued for Mansouri, marking the first such order in weeks amid ongoing US-sponsored talks for a ceasefire framework.
Full BriefGenerated 14d ago
What Happened
On 27 June, the Israeli military carried out airstrikes in southern Lebanon after issuing its first evacuation warning in more than a month. The IDF's Arabic spokesperson told residents of Mansouri to evacuate ahead of 'forceful action' there, then announced the start of 'precise strikes' in the south, accusing Hezbollah of a 'blatant violation of the ceasefire' without providing details. The Lebanese health ministry reported one man killed and 12 injured when a strike hit the roof of a prayer hall at the Tibnin cemetery. In Mansouri, mayor Haidar Madihli said four strikes hit buildings in the Ghazaleh neighbourhood, causing damage and triggering displacement of families toward Tyre. An Israeli military source later told Israeli media that the strike was in response to displaced residents returning to Mansouri 'under the auspices of the Lebanese army, which established a checkpoint in the area in violation of the agreements,' noting that the town lies within a 10‑km Israeli‑declared 'security zone.' Hezbollah did not comment on the events, which occurred as Israeli and Lebanese officials attended US‑sponsored talks in Rome aimed at maintaining the ceasefire.
Key Actors
  • ·
    Israel (IDF)(Israeli military)Conducted strikes and issued an evacuation order for Mansouri, justifying the action as a response to Hezbollah's ceasefire violation and accusing the Lebanese army of facilitating prohibited civilian return into the security zone.
  • ·
    Hezbollah(Iran‑backed Lebanese political‑military group)Did not immediately comment on the strikes; previously rejected the trilateral framework linking Israeli withdrawal to its disarmament, calling it a crossing of 'all red lines.'
  • ·
    Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF)(State military of Lebanon)Accused by an Israeli source of establishing a checkpoint that violated ceasefire agreements by allowing displaced residents to return to Mansouri in the Israeli‑declared security zone; had previously deployed to 'pilot zones' under the framework.
Why It Matters
The strikes and evacuation order underscore the fragility of the ceasefire and the contested interpretation of its terms. Israel's targeting of Mansouri inside its self‑declared security zone, coupled with the accusation against the LAF, risks undermining the trilateral framework and the US‑mediated talks in Rome. With Hezbollah already rejecting the agreement's disarmament provisions, the incident signals a high risk of renewed escalation and further displacement in southern Lebanon.
Watch For
Outcomes of the Rome talks and whether the trilateral mechanism can resolve the checkpoint incident and clarify the LAF's role in the border area. Monitor for any additional Israeli strikes or evacuation warnings, possible Hezbollah retaliation, and further statements from Lebanese or Israeli officials. Track the return rate of displaced persons and UN reporting on ceasefire violations, particularly in the Israeli‑designated security zone.
Generated 14d ago · Based on full article
Auto-Compiled
This page aggregates and summarizes reporting from BBC Middle East. The Conflict Pulse does not author original reporting. Read the original source for full coverage.
READ ORIGINAL

Lebanon

Latest verified updates on Lebanon, Hezbollah, Israel–Lebanon escalation, southern border fighting, displacement, state authority, and ceasefire diplomacy.

Active since October 2023

How outlets across the bias spectrum are covering this conflict.

Limited perspective coverage. Only center-leaning sources currently tracked for this region.

VIEW ALL LEBANON COVERAGE →